A first-class road bike paradise awaits you here where Austria, Italy and Switzerland share a border. The 3-border region, with its mild climate and the many mountain passes, offers ideal surroundings for road bikers and quite something in terms of culture too.
Nauders, a village with 1,500 inhabitants, is situated on the Austrian side of the Reschen Pass and is known as the absolute bike centre of the entire region. As one of the officially approved mountain bike regions, Nauders is also perfect for road biking. Road bikers can enjoy their sport to their hearts content here between the Finstermünz Pass in the north and the Reschen Pass in the south – provided your stamina is good because there are over 20 passes in the vicinity of 100 kilometres!
There are only 3 roads leading out of Nauders but they take you to 3 different countries.
- To the north, you reach the Tyrolean Oberland,
- the road in southern direction leads you across the Reschen Pass to the almost Mediterranean Vinschgau.
- Bike in western direction, and you enter the Swiss Engadine behind the Ofenpass.
- Discover the road along Via Claudia Augusta
Tips for your road cycling tours around Nauders at the Reschen Pass
One of the most beautiful tours in the Reschen Pass region leads uphill to the second-highest mountain pass in the Alps – the Stelvio Pass in 2,757 m above sea level. But it doesn’t always have to be such a challenging route. The region offers an incredibly wide range of less exhausting tours, for example to the Laungtauferer Valley, uphill to the Ofenpass or around Lake Reschensee with its impressive half-sunken bell tower. Biking along the almost altitude-free Via Claudia, you pass the impressive Altfinstermünz Fortress and other sights.
discover all tours
The annual road bike highlights are the legendary Three-Country Giro, the Race across the Alps and the Kaunertal “Gletscherkaiser”.
Road bike highlights of the region
- 2,200 road bike kilometres with over 80,000 altitude metres
- Over 20 passes in the vicinity of 100 km
- Cross-border tours to IT and CH